Monday, September 16, 2013

Dylusions Armadillos

Texana Designs Stamps:
Armadillo, large
Armadillo, mini, Solid Texas Shape, Star Trio
Barbwire Frame
Sentiments:  Howdy and
If you don't like… it should change
Distress Paint for edge of card - Vintage Photo
Stickles for eye - Cinnamon
Brown Embossing Powder
Idea-ology Tissue Wrap
Dylusions Spray Ink - Chocolate, Turquoise
Dylusions Stencil - Stars
Texana Design Team

I haven't told you yet how much I've enjoyed working with the Dylusions Ink Sprays and stencils.  That's because I've been too busy playing to post.  Here are four sample cards I created for Texana Designs as part of the design team.

I created the background in various layers to give it depth and interest.  I began with an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of watercolor paper and sprayed the background with Dylusions turquoise and chocolate sprays.  I misted again with more water to make the colors blend.  In the Dyan Reaveley method, I blotted with a second sheet of paper so that I didn't waste any of that beautiful color, then blotted both dry with a kitchen roll.  I set it aside to dry and came back the next day.

Or the day after... the beauty of this is that you can work on it in stages.  I cut the sheet into four A2 size sections before adding more layers.

I followed Dyan's technique called ghosting and used the Dylusion 9" x 11" star stencil.  By placing the stencil over the A2 card and misting with water I was able to lift some of the color to create the light stars.

Next I picked Archival Inks (because they are waterproof) and several of my Texana small stamps to create random background stamps.  I used the star trio with the sepia ink and put about three images on each A2.  Some were second generation stamps so that it was very light but this adds depth and interest.  Then I picked up the newly re-released Jam'n solid Texas shape and the Aquamarine ink.  I also stamped the mini armadillo in the same color.  After finishing the cards I realized that I wanted a simple "Howdy!" so I stamped that with the same color.

Another confession... I am a collector of all things crafty.  In my vast collection was the tissue paper designed by Tim Holtz.  I had not used it before, so I decided to try it.  Using a permanent black ink, I stamped the Jam'n Barbed Wire Frame four times.  I tore out a couple of them and cut out a couple of them.  Both techniques work equally well.  I used Glue'n'Seal matte to adhere it to the A2 card.  On the sample above you can see where I kinda scrunched it up and let it dry.  It really gives some great texture to the card.  On the sample below I cut inside the barbed wire and glued it on the card where I had stamped the image again.
I stamped and embossed the images and sentiments on tan cardstock and embossed with brown embossing powder.  One of the tan armadillos did not show up well on the brown (see above) so I colored him with my turquoise Dylusions in a water brush.  I added shadow to the others with the brown water brush.  I added a touch of Stickles for his eye and let that dry overnight.

The sentiment I tried in various ways.  It's great as it is in two long lines and it's easy to cut the words apart and place them on the card.  The choice is yours!

The edges of the A2 cards were painted with Distress Paint - Vintage Photo.  The images never seem to do the cards justice but I hope you've had fun following my creation.

No comments: